Photo caption goes here.
Village of Potsdam Ordinances
Table of Contents
- The open container law prohibits possession of alcoholic beverages on the streets.
- Pedestrians have the right of way in marked crosswalks. Drivers must stop for pedestrians in these areas. Jaywalkers are subject to ticketing.
- Bicyclists are subject to and must obey various village ordinances and traffic control signals. Riding on sidewalks and going the wrong way on one-way streets is prohibited.
- Parking of motor vehicles on lawns or areas not designated as driveways is prohibited.
- All dogs must be on a leash and licensed. Unleashed dogs are picked up and taken to the Potsdam Humane Society. There is a charge for day-to-day care.
- No overhead banners or signs on streets are permitted.
- No parking on village streets between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. Cars will be ticketed and towed away at owner's expense.
- There are regulations against loud noises, P.A. systems, and amplifying systems.
- No open fires, except barbecue grills, are permitted within village limits.
- The courts take a stern view of cases involving stolen street signs and traffic control devices, and vandalism of any nature.
- The Village has no authority in questions involving leases for private individuals. This is a legal matter between tenant and landlord.
- No person shall discharge any firearm, gun, air rifle, spring gun or any gun so constructed as to discharge pellets by compressed air or compressed gas within this municipality, except that this article shall not apply to police officers or other persons in the discharge of their official duties nor to any firing squad at a military funeral or ceremony nor to any properly constructed range approved by the Chief of Police.
- Prohibited Furniture: Interior type furniture which would be adversely affected by the weather or elements or which would be susceptible to infestations of insects or vermin is prohibited from being placed outside a structure in a yard, driveway, roof or other exposed area. Such prohibited furniture shall include, but not be limited to, upholstered couches and chairs or other fabric covered articles not designed or intended for use outdoors. The Code Enforcement Officer shall cause the owner of the property or other responsible person to comply, per Appendix A of Chapter 142-11 of the Village Code (Solid Waste), Section J 1-8.