Background Image

Withdrawal from the University

In this Section

Total Withdrawal from the University: Treatment of Federal Title IV and Institutional Aid

There are occasions when a student may leave the University prior to the completion of a semester.  If a student officially withdraws from the University,  takes a leave of absence, unofficially withdraws or is dismissed during the semester, for the purposes of financial aid each of these situations is treated as a withdrawal.

A student intending to leave the University must contact their Academic Department Office to begin the official withdrawal process.

The law specifies how Clarkson must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school.  The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, Federal Direct Student Loans, PLUS loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) and Federal Perkins Loans.

When you withdraw from the University during the semester, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point in time is determined by a specific formula.  If you received less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds.  If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned to the US Department of Education.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. The formula is based upon the number of days the student has attended as a percentage of the total number of days in the semester.   For example, if you completed 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally awarded.  Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you have earned all of the assistance that you were awarded for the semester.   Federal regulations require this calculation if the student officially or unofficially withdraws, is dismissed or otherwise leaves the University during a semester

Student transcripts are reviewed at the conclusion of each semester.  If a student received all “F” grades during a semester, federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to obtain additional information from the Academic Department(s). If the Academic Department(s) determines that the student completed yet failed to meet the course objectives in at least one course, no changes to the student’s financial aid for that semester is required.  If however, the Academic Department(s) determines that the student did not complete all courses (i.e. stopped attending all courses); the student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University.  In this case, the last date of an academic related activity (i.e. documented attendance in class, submission of a homework assignment or the taking of an exam) is used to determine the date of the unofficial withdrawal.  If the last date of an academic related activity is after the 60% date of the semester, no adjustment to a student’s financial aid for that semester is required.  If however, the date occurs prior to the 60% date, a Title IV refund calculation is required and necessary adjustments to a student’s financial aid for the semester will be made.  In absence of a documented last date of an academic related activity, federal regulations require Clarkson to use the midpoint (50%) of the semester.

The Federal Title IV Refund Procedure is separate and distinct from the Office of Student Account’s refund policy for tuition, fees and other charges at Clarkson.  Therefore, a student may still owe funds to cover unpaid institutional charges.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for students who return to the University for a subsequent semester will be reviewed and a determination will be made based on the Maximum Time Frame, PACE and GPA standards as stated above.