Prerequisites for the Clarkson PA program
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university
- 2 semesters Human/Animal/Vertebrate Anatomy & Physiology or 1 semester of Human/Animal/Vertebrate Anatomy and 1 semester of Physiology - minimum 6 hours total
- 2 semesters of Biology - one of which must be Microbiology (A&P cannot be used to fulfill the remaining course requirement) -minimum 6 hours total
- 2 semesters of Chemistry (Organic Chemistry recommended) - minimum 6 hours total
GPA for the above courses must be 3.0 or higher
- 1 semester of Humanities/Social Sciences: minimum 3 credits
- 1 semester Statistics: minimum 3 credits
- 1 semester Genetics: minimum 3 credits
- 1 semester Psychology (upper level recommended): minimum 3 credits
Grades less than C are not accepted for any prerequisite (C minus not accepted)
Prerequisite courses must be complete or in progress at the time of application.
Cumulative GPA for all required courses must be 3.0 or higher
All prerequisite coursework must be completed at an accredited institution within the United States or Canada.
- GRE - with results sent to Clarkson University (school code 0285)
- A minimum of 500 hours of documented and verifiable patient care experience is to be completed by the time of matriculation. 100 hours must be completed at time of application and 300 hours must be complete by the March 1 deadline. Applicants with compensated hours of direct patient care will have an advantage. Patient care experience is considered by two factors, quality and quantity. A heavy emphasis is placed on the quality of the experience. The program defines quality as hands on responsibility for the patient. Those that have not met the required hours by time of application must demonstrate a plan to obtain the remaining hours before classes begin if accepted into the program. Shadowing or observation is not accepted as patient care experience.
- It is required that applicants spend at least one day shadowing/observing a clinically practicing Physician Assistant. A separate (non-reference) Clarkson PA program form will be completed by the PA documenting the experience. Documentation will be required at time of interview.
- Students who studied extensively outside of North America will require formal evaluation of those transcripts by the World Education Service (WES). Completion of TOEFL will be required for those for whom English is not the primary language. This requirement may be waived if the applicant has a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college/university. All prerequisite coursework must be completed at an accreditation institution within the United States or Canada.
Simply meeting the prerequisites and submitting an application will not guarantee an interview or acceptance into the program. The admissions committee will decide applicants for interview and applicants selected for admission.