Background Image

Important Information for Visiting Scholars

In this Section
Welcome to Clarkson University! 

We are pleased that you will be coming to Potsdam as an Exchange Visitor.  Your DS-2019 (Certificate for Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status) is provided for you to use in applying for a J-1 visa.  Accompanying dependents will apply for J-2 visas.  A separate DS-2019 is issued for each.  A J-1 visa stamp in your passport (J-2 for dependents) is necessary to enter the United States unless you are a Canadian citizen.  If you are Canadian or have a valid J-1 visa stamp in your passport, you may travel without further documentation.

You may also contact the Exchange Visitor Program within the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs within the Department of State if you have questions that cannot be answered by Clarkson University or suggestions for improvements to the program.  The email address is: JVISAS@STATE.GOV      

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before the start date on the DS-2019.

You must arrive in Potsdam to begin your program within 30 days of entering the United States.

Check in with the International Student & Scholars Office upon your arrival in Potsdam.  We must record the start of your program in the Immigration Service’s SEVIS system or the Immigration Service will cancel your status and you will be illegal.  At the time of your check-in we will provide additional information about travel, taxes, Social Security and other matters of interest.

If you will enter the U.S. more than 30 days after the start date on the enclosed DS-2019, please contact the International Students & Scholars Office immediately.

When you leave the university, notify your department and the International Students & Scholars Office in advance of your departure.  The university must report both arrival and departure information to the U.S. government.

J Exchange Insurance Requirements
There are specific health insurance requirements for all Exchange Visitors and their dependents.  Minimum coverage must include compensation of $50,000 for each illness or accident, $10,000 for medical evacuation, and $7,500 repatriation of remains to home country in case of death.  The deductible must not exceed $500 per accident or illness. 

Employment is not permitted, except as noted on the enclosed DS-2019.  Questions about incidental employment related to the purpose of your visit should be directed to the ISSO.

Honoraria for presentations at outside institutions must be authorized in advance by the International Students & Scholars Office.      

Incidental Study
Scholars may enroll in an occasional class, but may not enroll in full-time degree programs.  Scholars who decide to pursue a degree program must formally apply to the University and obtain the necessary immigration documentation to apply for a change of status with the immigration service.  Scholars with a two-year home residency requirement will have to depart the U.S., obtain a new visa, and re-enter as a student.§        

J-Dependent Information

Study:  Currently, J-2 dependents may study full- or part-time, although this may change in the near future.

Employment:  Assistance in applying for J-2 employment authorization can be obtained from the International Students & Scholars Office after arrival.