Why Join the Honors Program
Honors Program alumni consistently cite the program's seminars, research opportunities and team-based projects as their most transformative academic experiences at Clarkson. Here are some the best reasons to join the Honors Program at Clarkson:
- Research opportunities start as early as the summer before your freshman year. Live for free on campus while working with faculty mentors on original research in the state-of-the-art laboratories and/or in the field. You can leverage your research experience into an internship or continue on to your Honors thesis. Every Honors student completes a thesis under the mentorship of a faculty member. Depending upon your major, this could be research, creative work, a business plan, or design of a product, and it is usually the climax of your undergraduate experience.
- Our curriculum places a huge emphasis on problem-based learning. In the 2012-2013 sophomore problems course, for example, Honors students designed web-based interactive exhibits for the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake. In 2013-2014, they researched the issues surrounding the breached weir in Massena, NY, the possibilities of what to do with the weir, and its impact on the community, and presented their findings to the Town of Massena.
- The Honors Program offers highly personalized attention to student needs, from course selection to personal and professional development. Its Advising Curriculum is designed to progressively promote professional development of its students. For example, we offer a series of workshops every year that help students to prepare to compete successfully for research experiences, major scholarships, internships/co-ops and other opportunities to get ahead.
- The Honors Program is a highly collaborative, supportive, tight-knit community. Through small classes and mentored research, you will forge close working relationships and lifelong friendships with faculty and fellow Honors students. Learn more about student life in the Honors Program.
- Our Honors Program alumni network is a tremendous resource for current Honors students and recent graduates. Alumni provide guidance and assistance when searching for internships, graduate school placements and jobs. Some of them even recruit at Clarkson for Fortune 500 companies.
Contact our office to learn how the Honors Program will enrich your Clarkson experience.