Get Funds for your Sustainability Projects
Do you have ideas for projects or activities that would help to integrate sustainability principles and practices into everything we do at Clarkson? An annual opportunity is available to share your ideas and willingness to implement them. The $25,000/year fund enables members of our community to engage in the process of making our campus more environmentally, socially and fiscally sustainable.
Additional funds from the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) support projects. Students receiving these funds present their work at an annual Green Your Campus Sustainability Competition in April of each year. Clarkson teams received the first place award for their project on occupancy sensors in dormitory hallways in 2012, a second place award in 2013 for the installation of low-flow sink aerators in campus bathrooms, and a first and second place award in 2014.
Past Sustainability Fund projects have made a real difference on campus. Among the changes made as a result of these projects, we have-
- Created a campus vegetable garden
- Replaced 9 mini-regrigerators with one full size refrigerator
- Piloted new waste bin receptacles that include a separate section for food waste
- Constructed boardwalks to access the beaver pond observation tower in the Clarkson Woods
- Installed water bottle refill stations at several locations around campus
- Initiated changes in lighting and occupancy sensors for energy savings
- Initiated re-useable to-go box program to reduce solid waste and costs
- Subsidized sales of re-useable water bottles
- Educated students in off-campus housing about energy conservation and efficiency measures
- Explored several ways to increase food waste collection for the anaerobic digester
- Increased awareness about recycling opportunities
- Initiated KnightRider – a bike lending program operated through Campus Safety & Security
- Developed a partnership in Uganda to increase tree planting for carbon sequestration
These projects and more are summarized in the following documents:
- Sustainability Fund Project synopsis – AY12
- Sustainability Fund Project Synopsis – AY13
- Sustainability Fund Project Synopsis – AY14
Details describing the proposal process and ideas for projects are available as a pdf file.
Graduate students David Illig (left) and Jeannie Piekarz display the team’s award-winning poster for their project “Dormitory Motion Sensor Lighting” at the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute “Greening Your Campus” student competition.
2016-2017 Sustainability Fund
Program announced and request for proposals available
Questions? Email Sustain@clarkson.edu to set up an
||Deadline for registering to make a Pitch
email to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Wk of Oct. 17||
Opportunity to Pitch your idea
||Proposals due electronically by 5 p.m.
email to email@example.com
|Nov. 18||Funded proposals announced
|Dec.-April||Projects implemented and assessed
|April 18, 2017
||Project report due
2012 Recycling Project focused on student awareness