Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (F.E.)
Beginning in 2014, this exam will be delivered via a computer-based testing service. The schedule for this exam will begin in January 2014 with a ‘two months on and one month off’ schedule. See the NCEES website for exact dates and deadlines.
New Eligibility and Registration Procedures for NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering
(FE) and Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) Computer Based Examinations in 2014
Eligibility and Registration for NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
- EAC/ABET Engineering programs - Students/applicants who are within twenty credits of graduation (generally your final semester) or have graduated from an EAC/ABET accredited baccalaureate program in engineering are automatically eligible to sit for the NCEES FE exam. You may verify whether your program is EAC/ABET accredited through the ABET website at www.abet.org. If you meet these criteria you are no longer required to obtain approval from the NYS Board for Engineering and Land Surveying prior to registering for the FE exam with NCEES. To sit for the FE exam, you must register and pay NCEES directly through their online registration system available via their website at www.ncees.org. Information will be posted on the NCEES website regarding the registration and payment for the FE exam beginning in November 2013.
To qualify for a license as a professional engineer an applicant shall fulfill the following requirements:
- be of good moral character;
- be at least 21 years of age; and
- meet education, examination and experience requirements.
All Foreign and NON-ABET Education programs – Students/applicants who are not enrolled or have not graduated from an EAC or ETAC ABET accredited baccalaureate program MUST submit an application with $70 fee to the New York State Board for Engineering and Land Surveying (NYS Board) for eligibility to sit for the NCEES FE exam. Once you have received approval from the NYS Board to sit for the NCEES FE exam, you must register and pay the exam administration fee with NCEES through their online registration system available via their website at www.ncees.org Information will be posted on the NCEES website regarding the registration and payment for the FE exam beginning in November 2013. Application Fee
Cost for registering for a CBT exam
The CBT exam fee is still under consideration, but examinees will likely pay $225 - $250 to register for the exam with NCEES.
- To schedule and pay the fee for the examination for which you have been approved by New York State Board for Engineering and Land Surveying, you are now required to register through the NCEES website at www.ncees.org. Instructions will be provided on the NCEES website for the registration and payment for exam.
- The NCEES registration opens on November 4 2013 and will be open year-round. You will register and schedule your appointment through your My NCEES account on the NCEES website.
Exam authorization NCEES will email you 2-3 weeks before the exam with a link to download and print your exam authorization notice. Read it carefully. You will be required to present this document along with a valid, government-issued photo ID upon arrival at the exam site
About the Exam
The FE exam is computer-based test (CBT). It is closed book with an electronic reference. Examinees have 6 hours to complete the exam, which contains 110 multiple -choice questions. The 6 hour time also includes a tutorial, a break, and a brief survey at the conclusion. Examinees will have 5 hours and 20 minutes to complete the actual exam. Each FE exam will be a freestanding exam that will be discipline specific. Specifications for the FE Exam beginning January 2014 can be found at http://cbt.ncees.org/major-domains-for-the-fe-exams-beginning-in-2014/
Be sure to arrive at the exam site on time. Late-arriving examinees will not be allowed into the exam room once the proctor has begun to read the exam script. The report time for the exam will be printed on your exam authorization notice.
Items You Should Bring to the Examination Site
- Your admission ticket
- A current, signed, government-issued photo identification. This is typically a driver's license or passport. The first and last name on the photo ID must match the name on the exam authorization notice. Please note that a student ID card is not acceptable for admittance.
- A calculator - a list of approved calculators will be on the NCEES website
The FE is a closed-book exam. You will be provided with an electronic reference on exam day
Results will be released to the licensing boards approximately 8-10 weeks after the exam. Depending on your state, you will be notified of your exam result online through your My NCEES account or via postal mail from your state licensing board. Results are never given over the phone.
Fundamentals of Engineering Reference Handbook
When taking the F.E. exam you are not allowed to take books or notes with you. You will be provided with electronic reference at the time of the exam. If you would like to receive one to study from you may contact NCEES. From this site, you may purchase the handbook.
Review books for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (F.E.) are available through the University Bookstore, Chi Epsilon or on-line.
The School of Engineering offers review sessions in an electronic format. The various subjects are Electrical Science, Materials Science, Strength of Materials, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Statics, Economics, and Fluid Mechanics.
After the FE Exam is taken you can apply for a Intern Engineer Certificate
In accordance with New York State Education Law and the Commissioner’s Regulations, only a graduate of an EAC/ABET approved program in engineering leading to a Baccalaureate degree, who has successfully completed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination is eligible for an “Intern Engineer” certificate. The fee for this certificate is $70. The application for this certificate can be found at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/pe1ie.pdf.
For more information contact:
Coulter School of Engineering