Fire, Smoke, & Explosion
NOTE: Any employee, student or visitor involved with a fire should contact Campus Safety & Security (x6666) with needed information as soon as it is safe to do so.
FIRE OR SMOKE:
- Remove anyone from danger.
- PULL the fire alarm, located near an exit.
- CALL 911 from the nearest safe phone.
- FIGHT the fire. Close nearby doors. Use extinguishers to assist with small fires only.
- EVACUATE the building. (SEE EVACUATION).
FIRE ALARM ACTIVATED:
- EVACUATE using the nearest stairwell. (SEE EVACUATION).
CAUGHT IN SMOKE:
- Drop to hands and knees and crawl towards the nearest exit.
- Stay low as smoke will rise to the ceiling.
- Hold your breath as much as possible; breathe through your nose and use a filter such as a shirt or towel.
IF TRAPPED IN A ROOM:
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Wet and place a cloth material around or under the door to help prevent smoke from entering.
- If room has an outside window, be prepared to signal someone outside.