Software Engineering Program
What Is Software Engineering?
Software plays a critical role in our daily lives. It's behind our banking systems. Our telephones depend on it. Home entertainment is full of it. Modern medical diagnosis and treatment can’t be performed without it. In our increasingly complex and technology-driven world, industry is begging for more good software engineers. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, the field is expected to grow by more than 30% each year.
The software engineer is a key player in most modern high-tech innovations and crucial business systems. As a software engineer, you’ll be concerned with user requirements, cost constraints, timely delivery of a product, feasibility of the customer's concept, quality of the software product, reliability, safety and long-term maintenance. You’ll also be entering into one of the most rapidly growing fields in engineering. Learn more about the industry outlook and potential careers.
We designed Clarkson's software-engineering program to educate software engineers who can apply technical, communication, interpersonal and project-management skills to software design and development. As a Clarkson graduate, you’ll be able to successfully:
- Develop software requirements and functional specifications
- Use proven techniques to design software structure before it is implemented
- Apply established verification and validation techniques
- Understand the importance of constructing large software systems using standardized components and reusing existing code (modules) where possible
- Use software tools as effective aids in all phases of software development
- Design, develop and deliver software in a cost-effective manner
- Assimilate new technologies
Software engineering is distinctive at Clarkson because it is interdisciplinary: We combine the expertise, knowledge and experience of faculty from both the Electrical & Computer Engineering and the Computer Science departments. That blend allows you to master theory and application to develop effective and cost-efficient software systems.
Learn more about potential careers in software engineering, meet our faculty, schedule a visit or apply now.