John P. Dempsey
John P. Dempsey
Professor (Joined Clarkson in 1980)
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
240B Rowley Laboratories
PO Box 5710
Potsdam, NY 13699-5710
Ph.D., Engineering, University of Auckland 1979
B.E. (First Class Honors), Engineering Science, University of Auckland 1975
Professional Experience at Clarkson University
1990-present, Professor; 1986-1990, Associate Professor; 1980-1986, Assistant Professor
• May 2015-August 2016, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Aalto University, Espoo, Finland
• January-June 2009, Institute for Building Materials, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zürich, Switzerland
• August-December 2008, Maritime Technology Professor Chair, Department of Civil Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore
• April-June 2002, Research Visit, Department of Engineering; Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, University of Cambridge, UK
• 1998-1999, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Engineering; Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, University of Cambridge, UK
• 1991-1992, Member, NAS/NRC US-USSR Ice Mechanics Committee
• 1986-1987, Visiting Associate Professor, Ice Engineering Research Branch, U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, Hanover, N.H.
• 1978-1980, Research Associate, Department of Civil Engineering, Northwestern University (with J.D. Achenbach)
Awards and Honors
FiDiPro Professor, Academy of Finland/Tekes, November 2015
Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics, January 2000
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, February 1996
Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, December 1996
ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, 1993
American Academy of Mechanics AAM 1983-present
American Society of Civil Engineers ASCE 1980-present
American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME 1979-present
International Glaciological Society IGS 1986-present
Effects of scale on the strength and fracture properties of structural materials; the analytical and experimental mechanics of materials behavior; the fracture mechanics of creep-brittle (quasi-brittle) materials; contact mechanics; composites and new materials; elasticity.
Dempsey, J.P., Z. Mu, Weight function for an edge-cracked rectangular plate. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 132 (2014) 93-103
Dempsey, J.P., T-stresses for edge cracks and vanishing ligaments. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 80 (2013)
Dempsey, J.P., Y. Xie, R.M. Adamson, D.M. Farmer, Fracture of a ridged multi-year Arctic sea ice floe. Cold Regions Science and Technology 76-77 (2012) 63-68
Wang, S., J.P. Dempsey, A cohesive edge crack. Engineering Fracture Mechanics78 (2011) 1353-1373
Dempsey, J.P., L.Tan and S. Wang, An isolated cohesive crack in tension. Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics22 (2010) 617-634
Articles in Books & Monographs
Marshall, P.W., J.P. Dempsey, A.C. Palmer, Arctic Engineering. McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science & Technology (2010) 22-26
Dempsey, J.P., Design ice forces and fracture scaling. The Mechanics of Solids -History and Evolution - a Festschrift in Honor of Arnold D. Kerr} (eds. M.H. Santare and M.J. Chajes). University of Delaware Press, Newark (2008) 139-149
Morley, G., J.P. Dempsey, A workman's guide to in situ sea ice fracture testing. Proc. 23rd International POAC Conference (2015) POAC15-256, 11p.
Dempsey, J.P., P. Jochmann, L. Fransson, Z. Mu, J. Weiss, A.C. Palmer, Cleavage fracture of warm brackish ice. Proc. 22nd International POAC Conference (2013) POAC13-xxx, 10p.
Pennington, M.T. and J.P. Dempsey, Flatjack calibration for in-situ testing. Proc. 21st International POAC Conference (2011) POAC11-179, 7p.