Background Image

Joining the Program

In this Section

The Career Center can help you plan for a deeply rewarding co-op experience. Our staff can help you research co-ops that match your interests, prepare your resume, hone your interview skills and plan for a smooth return to Clarkson. Follow these steps to prepare for the best co-op experience possible:

Obtaining a Co-op

1. Complete your profile in KnightLink
KnightLink is Clarkson’s primary online career resource. By creating a personal profile on KnightLink, you can search for and apply to co-ops, manage on-campus interviews, and see upcoming co-op events and information sessions. Every Clarkson student automatically receives a KnightLink account, but it’s up to you to build your personal profile, upload a resume, and take advantage of KnightLink’s powerful networking and search tools. Be sure to indicate your interest in co-ops by checking the box in your “work type” preferences. That way we can contact you about upcoming opportunities, open positions, resume collections, co-op workshops, employer visits, and other campus events.

2. Visit the Career Center 
The Career Center is on the second floor of the ERC and is as terrific resource for making the best co-op match. We have access to updated industry guides and co-op databases to help you identify and target both regional and national businesses. Karla Fennell, our associate director of co-ops and internships, is available to meet one-on-one with students to discuss their goals and co-op interests. To arrange an appointment, please stop by the Career Center or call 315-268-6477.

3. Apply and interview
You can apply to many co-ops right in KnightLink. These are positions that are expressly targeting Clarkson students. You can also apply directly to companies that you found through the Career Center, Career Fairs, at campus networking events or online. If you are selected to interview, be sure to conduct a “mock interview” with a Career Center representative and to attend the interactive interview skills workshop. Don’t forget to follow up with a “thank you” email that re-expresses your interest in the co-op. 

4. Meet with your academic advisor
Your academic advisor can help you fit the co-op experience into your course schedule, allowing you to still graduate on time (in most cases). Before you leave for a co-op, your academic advisor will need to sign an academic plan detailing the courses you will take when you get back to Clarkson. Students may use the academic plan to register for classes remotely since Clarkson uses a web-based course registration system.

5. Fill out the Co-op Application
Congratulations! You’ve been offered a co-op position. To ensure that everything is taken care of on Clarkson’s end — tuition freeze, housing arrangements, mail forwarding, etc. — you will need to submit an official Co-op Application to the Career Center. We’ll take care of the rest.

Important Co-op Forms:
Student working
Password:  in your welcome email or see Career Center