Sustainable Campus Operations
Operating a University in a manner to reduce our environmental footprint and maximize social and economic benefits within our region require that all offices and operations consider sustainability of their practices. From the dining service offering vegetarian and local foods to the facilities staff improving the insulation of our buildings, every aspect of our campus operation is working to integrate sustainability principles. Some recent highlights include:
- Sustainable Office Certification program implemented with over 40 offices currently certified
- On-going lighting upgrades with a less than two year payback period include over 60,000 new T8 fluorescent and outdoor LED bulbs throughout campus
- Greenhouse gas inventory completed that shows a 25% reduction in total GHG emissions since our baseline year of 2005
- Riverfront property redevelopment project on-going to value and utilize our natural resources
- Special meals and the lively Sustainable Iron Chef competition each semester to celebrate local foods.
- Employee wellness program initiated to sustain the productivity of our community