Wind Energy Research
Points of Contact: Dr. Ken Visser, MAE Department
Over 30 years ago Clarkson began conducting research in the use of vertical axis wind turbines as a source of local, rural energy. Today, researchers continue to investigate efficient strategies of extracting energy from the wind. The current research focus is on small turbines in the 1-100kW range, suitable for rural, residential and commercial applications. Several of the concepts utilize novel blade concepts to improve efficiency, reduce noise and enhance the low wind speed performance. Clarkson also tests small turbine prototypes at the Wind Turbine Test site in Potsdam. In addition, Clarkson houses the Wind Turbine Blade Test Facility to test blade lengths up to 14 m.
- Jedamski, D., and Visser. K., “Computational Analysis of a Diffuser Using USM3D for Diffuser Augmented Wind Turbines” AIAA 2013-2966, 31st AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, San Diego, CA, June 2013.
- Bohl, D., Helenbrook, B., Kanya, B., Visser. K., Marvin, R., Mascarenhas, B., Parker, M. and Rocky, D., “Analysis and Design of a Wind Turbine with a Wind Accelerator,” AIAA-2011-3814, 29th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2011.
- Kanya, B. M., and Visser, K.D., “The Impact of Airfoil Selection on the Design of Small Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines,” AIAA-2010-1583, 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Orlando, FL., January 2010.
- Moeller, M. M., and Visser, K.D., “Experimental and Numerical Studies of a High Solidity, Low Tip Speed Ratio DAWT,” AIAA- AIAA-2010-1585, 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Orlando, FL., January 2010.
- "Optimum Blade Numbers and Solidities for Small HAWTs," Brown, M. M., and Visser, K.D., AIAA-2007-1370, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV., January 2007.
- "Aerodynamic Design of a Small Contra-Rotating HAWT," Rector, M. C., and Visser, K.D., AIAA-2007-1371, 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV., January 2007.
- "Solidity, Blade Number, and Pitch Angle Effects on a One Kilowatt HAWT," Rector, M. C., and Visser, K.D., AIAA-2006-0608, 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV., January 2006.
- "On Adapting a Small PM Wind Generator for a Multi-Blade, High Solidity Wind Turbine",Khan, M.A., Pillay, P., and Visser, K.D.,IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 3, September 2005.
- "Solidity and Blade Number Effects on Small Horizontal-Axis Wind Turbines",Duquette, M.M, Swanson, J. and Visser, K.D., Wind Engineering, Vol 27, No. 4, pp. 299-316, 2003.
- "Numerical Implications of Solidity and Blade Number on Rotor Performance of Horizontal-Axis Wind Turbines," Duquette, M. and Visser, K.D., Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 125, No. 4, pp. 425-432, November 2003.
For more details see the Wind Energy Group website.